For more than 8 years the Women’s organizations supported by Kvinna Till Kvinna Foundation have worked with commitment in the areas where they operate, influencing directly in the mitigation of the negative phenomena, especially domestic violence in the Albanian society. These organizations have given their contribution in providing social services for women and girls with violence problems.
It is important to emphasize the fact that during this period the cooperation between these 8 organizations has been strengthened and has increased in terms of: joint initiatives for organizing various activities, participation in joint national and international activities, experience exchange, exchange of information, referral of cases from the community for solutions, project applications etc.
On 1 July 2009, our organizations finalized this fruitful collaboration with the creation of the Network named “Albanian Women Empowering Network” (AWEN). The establishment of this network becomes a necessity in order to strengthen the cooperation within its members, to increase the impact of the joint activities in national level and to respond to the demands of donors still operating in Albania.
The network consists of 8 organizations which are located in all districts of Albania from North to south, and specifically:
- “Gender Alliance for Development Centre”, Tirana
- “Association of Women and Girls with Social Problems”, Durres
- “Me, the Woman”, Pogradec
- “Agritra Vision”, Peshkopi
- “Woman to Woman”, Shkoder
- “Woman’s Forum”, Elbasan
- “The Psycho – Social Centre “Vatra”, Vlora
- “Jona” association, Sarande
The Albanian Women Empowering Network works in the field of protection of human rights, in particular of the rights of women and girls. The main aim of this network is the social, economic, cultural and politic empowerment of Albanian women. The network already functions on the basis of a well-defined mission, a board, six-monthly and yearly plans, by so increasing the ownership of the partner organizations and the transparency of all organizational steps that are taken.
1. Association “Albanian Women’s Empowerment Network (AWEN) has as its purpose and mission, to support, protect and promote the rights and interests of women and girls in the Republic of Albania, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, language , political beliefs, religious and philosophical, economic situation, educational, social, or origin.
2. The purpose is fulfilled through the exchange of experiences and information, partnership and netëorking, advocacy and research.